On Monday, March 9, at approximately 12:10 a.m. the UIC Police Department received notification from the Chicago Police Department that the owner of a Jaguar (unknown year/model/color) left the car running, unattended, outside of a business near 800 W. Maxwell St. An unknown offender took the vehicle without permission from the owner and fled. The victim reported that he is a concealed carry owner and the firearm was left inside the vehicle.
The Chicago Police Department will lead the investigation. Anyone with information should call 311.
Approximate crime location mapped:
UIC Police offer the following security tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Use all your senses to be alert for danger, and when walking alone, don’t wear headphones or earbuds.
- Do not leave a vehicle running and unattended, even for a short time.
- Don’t display valuables in public.
- On campus, look for the location of the nearest emergency call box (there are more than 1,500 across campus.)
- To contact the UIC Police, call 312-355-5555 for emergencies or 312-996-2830 for non-emergencies.
- Report crime promptly to police.
Public safety advisories are distributed to the university community in compliance with the federal Clery Act. UIC Police may also issue notifications for off-campus crimes in the interest of public-safety awareness. Security tips are standard precautions, not special or incident-specific measures. Offender descriptions and precise locations are provided only to aid in the identification of possible suspects. Updates to investigations are not sent by email but will be posted online at: https://emergency.uic.edu/public-safety-advisory/
UIC Annual Security Report
Chicago Police Department Crime Incidents
Urgent notifications may be sent via both INSTANT TEXT MESSAGE (SMS) and URGENT mass e-mails. SMS messages — issued only in cases of immediate threat to health and safety, such as a tornado alert, or a major disruption to travel — are faster and more reliable than e-mail. The campus strongly recommends that you register your cell phone for SMS messages at http://sms.uic.edu