UIC ALERT: Due to anticipated severe winter weather conditions the UIC campus, including UIC Law, will reduce in-person operations Friday, Jan. 12. The winter storm warning may bring varying conditions throughout the day and evening, affecting students and employees who live and commute throughout the Chicagoland region.
Activities at UIC regional campuses in Peoria, Quad Cities, Rockford, Springfield and Urbana will be determined based on local weather conditions and any operational updates will be communicated by the colleges in those locations.
Instruction and Libraries
- On-site classes and labs scheduled for Friday should move online, if feasible. If this transition is not manageable, alternative educational experiences or cancellation are options.
- Instructors should communicate directly with students about weather-related plans as soon as possible. Students should watch their email and/or refer to the syllabus. Instructors can visit UIC Help Center for Teaching and Learning support services.
- Classes and campus activities already online or remote should meet as planned.
- UIC Libraries in Chicago (Daley and the Health Sciences Library) will be open 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday. UIC Law Library and the regional health sciences libraries in Rockford and Peoria will follow the directives of those college deans about opening and closing.
Clinical operations and essential services
- Clinical activities, including educational activities in the health sciences colleges, will continue as scheduled. The health sciences colleges will communicate directly with students.
- The hospital, clinics, dental clinics and pharmacies will continue normal operations.
- Mile Square Health Center locations will continue normal operations; staff and patients will be notified directly should circumstances change.
- University-defined essential units that provide critical operations and services at the university regardless of weather conditions will also continue normal operations.
- Employees coming to campus may wish to park in parking structures to allow for snow removal on surface parking lots.
- Employees who do not work in essential function areas, such as facility operations, public safety, student affairs, critical research areas, patient care and hospital operations, should plan to work remotely Friday (with approval by your unit).
- Employees who cannot work remotely and are unable to work in-person due to the weather, must use appropriate leave benefit time.
Events, transportation and facilities
- Scheduled events on campus may be affected. Please check with organizers and venues for specific details.
- UIC Flames athletics events will be held as scheduled on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Any updates will be communicated directly by Flames Athletics via its social channels and website.
- Campus residential housing will continue normal operations, including food service.
- Student Center East and Student Center West will continue normal operations.
- The Recreation Centers and Children’s Center will open at 9 a.m.
- Technology Solutions will continue to provide support through help.uic.edu.
- Facility emergencies and building access requests should be reported to Facilities Customer Support 24/7 at 312-996-7511.
- UIC buses, shuttles, paratransit service and Night Ride will operate on a regular schedule, however, delays may occur due to weather. For specific information on routes and times, consult the Transloc route service on your mobile device.
- UIC Parking offers motorist assistance by calling 312-355-0555.
- Please use the 24/7 phone number, 5-SNOW (312-355-7669) to report any snow or ice-related problems on campus.