UIC ALERT: The UIC campus in Chicago, including UIC Law, will reduce in-person operations Tuesday, Jan. 16, due to the predicted frigid temperatures and wind chills that may reach minus 30 degrees. Temperatures are expected to improve by Wednesday and normal operations will resume Jan. 17.
Activities at UIC regional campuses in Peoria, Quad Cities, Rockford, Springfield and Urbana will be determined based on local weather conditions and any operational updates will be communicated by the colleges in those locations.
Instruction and Libraries
- On-site classes and labs scheduled for Tuesday should move online, if feasible. If this transition is not manageable, alternative educational experiences or cancellations are options.
- Instructors should communicate directly with students about weather-related plans as soon as possible. Students should watch their email and/or refer to the syllabus. Instructors can visit the UIC Help Center for Teaching and Learning support services.
- Classes and campus activities already online or remote should meet as planned.
- UIC Libraries in Chicago (Daley and the Health Sciences Library) will be open 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday. UIC Law Library and the regional health sciences libraries in Rockford and Peoria will follow the directives of those college deans about opening and closing.
- Clinical activities, including educational activities in the health sciences colleges, will continue as scheduled. The health sciences colleges will communicate directly with students.
- The hospital, clinics, dental clinics and pharmacies will continue normal operations.
- Mile Square Health Center locations will be closed. Urgent Care will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday.
- University-defined essential units that provide critical operations and services at the university regardless of weather conditions will also continue normal operations.
- Employees coming to campus may wish to park in parking structures to allow for continued snow and ice removal on surface parking lots.
- Employees who do not work in essential function areas should plan to work remotely Tuesday (with approval by your unit).
- Employees who cannot work remotely and are unable to work in person due to the weather must use appropriate leave benefit time.
Events, transportation and facilities
- Scheduled events on campus may be affected. Please check with organizers and venues for specific details.
- Campus residential housing will continue normal operations, including food service.
- Student Center East and Student Center West will continue normal operations.
- The Children’s Center will be closed Tuesday.
- The Recreation Centers will be open beginning at 9 a.m.
- Technology Solutions will continue to provide support through help.uic.edu.
- Facility emergencies and building access requests should be reported to Facilities Customer Support 24/7 at 312-996-7511.
- UIC buses, shuttles, paratransit service and Night Ride will operate on a regular schedule, however, delays may occur due to weather. For specific information on routes and times, consult the Transloc route service on your mobile device.
- UIC Parking offers motorist assistance by calling 312-355-0555.
- Please use the 24/7 phone number, 5-SNOW (312-355-7669) to report any snow or ice-related problems on campus.